Wiper Democratic Movement – Kenya (WDM-K) is a political party in Kenya. WDM-K is headed by Kalonzo Musyoka, who ran for president in 2007 and served as the vice-president in the Grand Coalition of Mwai Kibaki and Raila Odinga. Wiper Party came from the Orange Democratic Movement Party of Kenya (ODM).
Wiper Democratic Movement – Kenya together with ODM, FORD Kenya and ANC Kenya formed the National Super Alliance (NASA) coalition. This is the outfit that competed with Jubilee party during the 2017 Kenya Elections.
History of Wiper Democratic Movement – Kenya (WDM-K)
in mid-August 2007 Wiper Democratic Movement was created out of a split between Kalonzo Musyoka and Raila Odinga. Raila bought out the original ODM party from Mugambi Imanyara, while Kalonzo’s group, consisting of himself and Dr. Julia Ojiambo remained in the shell of the party then called ODM-Kenya.
Raila Odinga was selected the ODM presidential candidate for ODM on 1 September 2007. Thereafter Raila and Kalonzo faced president Kibaki in the 2007 general elections. The elections were disputed by ODM and violence erupted which resulted in a great loss of life and displacement. Government of national unity was formed between Kibaki’s PNU and Odinga’s ODM, with Musyoka taking vice-president positions.
in order to differentiate itself from Raila Odinga’s ODM party, it changed its colours and symbol and called itself Wiper Democratic Movement–Kenya (WDM-K) in 2011.
Will be updated soon…
Wiper Party Governors
There were no leaders elected as Wiper Governors in 2017 elections. Some of the party members cried foul, sighting irregularities in the elections and went to court to challenge the elections of the governors.
Wiper Party Elected MPs 2017
Jubilee Party has 140 MPs, followed by ODM with 61 MPs, Musalia Mudavadi’s Amani National Congress (ANC) has 14 MPs; then Wiper Party with 19 MPs while Ford-K has 10 MPs. KANU has 8 MPs while 13 MPs made it to the House as Independents.
Wiper Party Headquarters
The Wiper Democratic Movement–Kenya headquarters is located at Othaya Road, Lavington, Nairobi Kenya.
Wiper Party Offices
The Wiper Democratic Movement offices are located all over the country.
Wiper Democratic Movement News
The Wiper Party news can be found on their website by clicking on this link
Wiper Party Nominations
One must follow the following to be nominated as governor, member of legislature, women representative and member of county assembly ward.
Must be a Kenyan Citizen for at least 10 years before the election, must not hold dual citizenship, must not owe allegiance to a foreign state and should be a registered Voter
Wiper Party Nominations Requirements
- Certified Copy of National Identity Card/ Valid Passport (The document used by the candidate to register as a voter)
- 3 Passport size photographs
- If the candidate is a public officer, a letter of discharge from the employer confirming that he/she was not in employment as at February 7th This requirement does not apply to the President, deputy President and Parliament.
- A duly signed code of conduct
- A duly filled WIPER DEMOCRATIC MOVEENT-KENYA Application for nomination form in triplicate
- Curriculum vitae with supporting documents and application letter demonstrating contribution made to wellbeing of your immediate community (not to exceed 1000 words)
- Party secretariat clearance certificate (Aspirants must not be in arrears of contributions to the Wiper Party)
- Nomination fee receipt or a valid bankers cheque in the name of WIPER DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT-KENYA
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS (PRESIDENT & GOVERNOR)
- Degree holder from a university recognized in Kenya
- Certified copy of degree certificate
- Here the body that issued the degree certificate isn’t based in Kenya, a certified copy of the certificate must be authenticated ad/or equated by the commission for higher education
Wiper Democratic Movement Contacts
P.O BOX 403-00100NAIROBI
CELL PHONE:0720 513 513
020 266 3336