Ugali Recipe: Ugali is one of the most popular food in East Africa. When you travel across Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and its neighboring countries you will find Ugali. Maize meal is a staple food for many African countries. Maize has multiple uses from preparing white porridge to preparing Ugali. The Ugali Recipe is very simple so as its preparation, however you will need the skill. Amazingly not everyone from this region can make ugali.
You will realize that the Ugali recipe tend to vary from one region to the other. While some people would add a pinch of salt, some would cook it with plain water. Recently there has been a promotion by one of the margarine companies where they introduced a new ugali recipe. In this new ugali recipe, one adds margarine to the ugali to make it tastier and tender. However, there are people who would rather stick t the Kenyan traditional food as they say adding anything more just ruins the taste of ugali.
What is Ugali Made out of?
Many people always ask what is in Ugali or what is ugali made of? Ugali is made purely from water and maize flour. If you are looking for ugali recipe yellow cornmeal, then don’t worry as the process of making ugali with white or yellow cornmeal are the same. However, there is the brown ugali which is made of sorghum and cassava. Most people prefer mixing white maize, sorghum and cassava. After this is milled and the flour is ready for preparing ugali. The ration varies according the preference of the person. This is however common with the rural folk as well as few urban folks. Now that you know what is in ugali and what is ugali made of. Let’s now look at Ugali recipe and how to cook ugali.
What is Ugali in English?
Many often ask what is ugali in English. According to Oxford dictionary, Ugali is a noun. It is a type of maize porridge eaten in east and central Africa. Ugali is a Swahili word also sometimes its called Sima, Sembe or Posho. The Ugali Pronunciation: /uːˈɡɑːli/
There are numerous ugali health benefits. Being a starch, ugali benefits it releases energy slowly in the blood stream ensuring that you stay energized the whole day. Its rich in iron, sodium and trace elements such as manganese. Below are the Key Ugali benefits.
- Rich in Carbohydrates
- Rich Source of Iron
- Source of Corn Oil that has good Antioxidant Properties
The ugali nutrition
|Total Fat||2 g||Potassium||0 mg|
|Saturated||1 g||Total Carbs||39 g|
|Polyunsaturated||0 g||Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Monounsaturated||0 g||Sugars||1 g|
|Trans||0 g||Protein||4 g|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily
Ugali Ingredients | Ugali Recipe
4 Cups of water
2 Cups of maize flour
1 tablespoon margarine/butter (Optional)
Pinch of salt (Optional)
How to cook ugali
- Take a saucepan (Sufuria) then put water as per the ration explained in the ingredients.
- Heat the water till it boils (If you prefer salt and butter add them to the boiling water)
- Now add the maize flour slowly by slowly and stir with a wooden stick
- When the mix thickens reduce the heat to medium then start cooking as you smash any lumps
- Continue with the cooking until the dough pulls away from the pot and becomes very thick
- You will feel the aroma of cooked ugali (smells like burning maize flour) this is a sign of a ready ugali
- Turn the pan upside down to a wider plate and give it the shape by using the woden stick
- Serve while still hot
Ugali and sukuma wiki Recipe
Ugali is popularly served with Sukuma wiki, eggs, beef, chicken, fish, omena and other delicacies. We need to learn how to make ugali and Sukuma wiki using a simple recipe. You will like this combination as it tastes very nice. To conclude, let’s look at the ugali and Sukuma wiki recipe.
Sukuma Wiki Ingredients
2 bunches of sukuma wiki washed, destemmed and finely chopped
4 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tomatoes diced
1 medium onion finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Royco mchuzi mix
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the cooking oil
- Add onions, stir until they turn golden brown.
- Then add tomatoes and simmer till tender.
- Add the sukuma wiki in small batches stirring constantly until they are all mixed with the oil, tomatoes and onions.
- Add salt to taste, spices and water
- Stir and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes depending on how tender you want it to be.
- Serve with the Ready ugali that we cooked earlier.
Use these simple guide for your ugali recipe whenever you feel like cooking ugali. With the ugali and Sukuma wiki recipe I believe you will be able to make some nice meals. Share with us some of your experiences below so that we can also learn from you.