sukuma wiki Recipe: One of the most popular dishes in many East African homes in the Sukuma Wiki. Therefore, many people learn how to cook sukuma wiki at early ages. However, there are people who would like to try different methods of how to cook sukuma wiki. This is a meal that people eat almost every day, hence one should learn different methods of cooking Sukuma wiki.
This articles contains step by step guide on how to cook sukuma wiki using our simple sukuma wiki Recipe. Cooking Sukuma wiki is simple and takes a short time. It’s the vegetable that always accompany major meals like beef, chicken, omena, eggs etc. This is a nutritious meal and the Sukuma wiki ingredients are easy to find around. Sukuma wiki can be served alone with ugali. Many families in Kenya often eat ugali and Sukuma wiki as a meal.
By the time you finish reading how to cook sukuma wiki, you will have mastered our simple Sukuma wiki Recipe. You will be able to entertain your guests with one of these Kenyan dishes.
Sukuma wiki in English
These nutritious vegetables are normally referred to as Kales. Sukuma wiki in English is Kales or Collard Greens. However the name Sukuma Wiki translated to English is “Week Pusher”. This is simply because its an affordable meal that one can buy when low on finances to push the week.
Sukuma wiki Health Benefits
- Sukuma wiki is rich in Vitamin K, B vitamins, calcium and Vitamin A.
- If You are keen on weight loss, then you better eat Sukuma Wiki because they are low in calories
- Sukuma wiki Health Benefits includes dietary fiber
- It contains anti-cancer properties like glucosinolates that offer protection against various types of cancer such as digestive tract and lung cancer.
- Good source of antioxidants
- It lowers cholesterol levels by eliminating bile acids(fat) from the body
Sukuma wiki Recipe
Now let’s look at our Sukuma Wiki Recipe which we have made the Kenyan way. The following Sukuma wiki ingredients can be found in your local supermarket, shopping Centre or even local market. Make sure you wash all your vegetables well before cutting them.
Sukuma wiki ingredients
- 1 Bunch of Sukuma Wiki (Kales/Collard Greens) well washed and chopped
- 1 large Onion diced
- 3 Tomatoes diced
- Vegetable oil to Fry
- 2- 3 Royco or Maggi cubes
- ¼ Pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to cook sukuma wiki
- In a cooking pot, heat oil with medium heat
- Put the onions and fry them until soft
- Now add the tomatoes and fry until they form a thick paste
- Add in salt, pepper and Royco beef cubes.
- Add your chopped Sukuma wiki bit by bit in to the cooking tomato sauce.
- Cover your cooking pot and leave it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir the Sukuma wiki well.
- Serve and enjoy your meal.
With this simple sukuma wiki Recipe we believe you will be cooking your Sukuma wiki like a professional chef. Don’t forget to share your experience with us.