Rufftone real name is Roy Smith Mwita, he started his musical career as a secular artist in 1999. When he became born again, he started doing gospel music. Rufftone was born in Nairobi ‘s Eastlands however went to school in western Kenya. He is graphic designer from Buruburu Institute of Fine Arts (BIFA). However, he didn’t graduate because he developed a special focused on his music. Today he is Goodwill Ambassador for Public Diplomacy of the Republic of Korea. He is also the Lampstand Music Record founder.
His music was first heard on radio in 2000 when he released a popular hit secular music called Meeh recorded by Ogopa Djs. Later on, his music career grew when he released ‘Mwikulu’ meaning “Heaven”. This song he did in his vernacular language, luhya. The song narrates the noble desire of many to go to heaven once they leave this life yet they totally disregard the requirements stated in the bible to attain our heritage as God’s sons.
In 2003 he was nominated for Kora Awards Male Artist of the Year, Gospel artist of the Year and in 2004 America Gospel Music Awards-International Artist of the Year.
He comes from a family of four brothers and a sister. All the brothers are musicians. Rufftone is the brother to Daddy Owen whose real name is Owen Mwatia. Rufftone wife is called Susan Njoki a.k.a Krystal. She is also a gospel artist in Kenya.
In case you never knew, Rufftone together with his wife Susan Njoki a.k.a Krystal have two children. Rufftone Babies are called Kellen Ogola and Jeremy.
Before recording the hit songs below, he used to perform in Scorpion club in Naivasha, Ikuuni club, Machakos and the popular Vybestar in Thika. Later on, he got to move to a bigger house which he shared with Daddy Owen, Ambassada and Harry G.
- Mungu Baba
- Tsinyanga Tswere
- My Oh My
- Chant a Prayer
- Jesus is my Hero
- Mola Wangu
Rufftone Mungu Baba Song
Click here to connect with him on facebook
10 Facts you didn’t know about Rufftone
- Hates pumpkin but loves kunde (traditional African vegetables).
- His first drink was Changaa which he tried while still in Form one and ended up chewing a black out for the rest of the day.
- Is a refined artiste and interior designer who designed Ruffware and the Lampstand Studio.
- Rufftone is acrophobic (has a fear of heights).
- Is also a farmer who specializes in zero grazing?
- Likes wearing open shoes because he believes in letting his toes getting fresh air.
- Scooped the second position countrywide during the Marshalls Peugeot art competition held in Kenya, and emerged the overall winner at the Kiwi Arts competition.
- Was a fine goalkeeper for a local football team known as Stand Muhogo FC and adores cartoons and animated movies. His favorite cartoon character is Johnny Bravo.
- Got saved in 1999 at Kenya Assemblies of God after being prayed for by Pastor Rod Parsley. At the time, he was just about to release his debut secular album.
- Did secular for six years before he decided to switch to gospel.