The Kenyan Government through the Kenyan Immigration Department has introduced a new procedure of kenyan passport Application since 2015. Its important to note the following:
Pursuant to section 27(1) of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act 2011 as read with section 12 of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Regulation 2012, legal notice No. 64, all applicants are required to complete Form 19 (Fillable online) as the Kenya Passport application form set out in the first schedule of the Regulations.
Kenyan Passport Application
Step One: Registration
Go to www.ecitizen.go.ke and register. Items needed are your National ID number and a phone number to complete the registration.
Step Two: Department of Imigration Services
Login to the ecitizen platform with the user name and password you used after successful registration then navigate to Department of Imigration Services and then submit application.
Step Three: Make your desired Kenyan passport Application
Make your desired Kenyan passport Application. There are three different forms you choose from adult (FOR PERSONS OVER 18 YEARS ONLY) , children and temporary permit. If you Choose the form for adults you will get Kenyan passport Application instructions for this category including
How long does it take to get a passport?
It should take at least 15 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices. For all other application types, it should take at least 5 working days.
Steps of application
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three copies of the application Invoice(Receipt).
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices. ( Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
During the submission you need the following:
- Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo capture.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three invoices.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommenders ID Card copy.
- Old passport for replacement plus copies of last three pages.
- Parents National ID cards copies or Death Certificate if deceased.
- For Lost case a Sworn affidavit and a police abstract are required
- For Lost cases and Mutilated cases an explanation letter is required to explain the circumstances of the loss or mutilation
- 32 Pages – Kshs. 4,550
- 48 pages – Kshs. 6,050
- 64 Pages – Kshs. 7,550
- East African Passport – Kshs. 990
- Diplomatic passport (48 page) – Kshs 7,550
- Mutilated Passport – Kshs 10,050
- Lost Passport Ksh. 12,050
- Temporary permit – Ksh. 300
Below all this information you will find the Apply Now field
Step Four: Filling the Form
Fill all the details in the online form, after filling the form, ascertain that the details therein are correct. If everything is okay then you should click continue.
Step Five: Payment Page
The modes of payment are M-PESA (Paybill no 206206, Account Number FWJXRZL), Debit Card, Credit Card, Prepaid Debit Card, Airtel Money and eCitizen Agent. choose your preferred payment method and then pay.
After you pay, you should then click on complete. If your payment has been received then you’ll be able to continue to the next page. The payment takes about 5 minutes to reflect.
Once it reflects, you should then print your filled application and three copies of the invoice available on eCitizen
It’s important to not the following:
- Payments via Debit/Credit/Prepaid Cards attract an extra 2.5% handling fee.
- Ensure you are using your eCitizen account to apply for your own passport. Applications applied on behalf of others will be rejected
- During submission you must come with original documents and photocopies of the same.
- Do not book travel until you have a valid passport – doing so is at your own risk.