Today we are going to look at how to prepare pilau with delicious pilau ingredients using a simple Swahili pilau rice recipe. I will walk you through our step by step guide on cooking pilau and also the what you need for beef pilau recipe.
Before we look at how to prepare pilau, lets know more about this popular Swahili dish. Pilau is a popular dish amongst the Swahili leaving in east Africa. This dish is normally served during special events and celebrations. The dish can also be made differently using chicken, vegetables and even fish.
As we look at how to prepare pilau, it’s important to note that long grain basmati is good while cooking Pilau for best results.
Pilau Ingredients – Beef Pilau Recipe
The following are some of the pilau ingredients or the Beef Pilau Recipe that you will need.
- Quarter kilogram of goat, mutton or beef
- One garlic cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 table spoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cups rice
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- A pinch of ground ginger (about a quarter of teaspoon)
- ¼ cup cumin seed powder
- 1 small tomatoes
- 2 cups water
Directions on How to Prepare Pilau
- Boil the meat in salted water for a few minutes or until tender.
- Crush the garlic and cardamom together with 2tbsp water using a mortar and pestle.
- Fry the onion until it is golden brown.
- Add the rice, meat, garlic and cardamom mixture, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and cumin seed powder.
- Cook covered over medium heat until all are nicely brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook and stir until the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked down to the consistency of a sauce.
- Add the 2 cups water to the rice mixture, bring to a boil and then cook over very low heat, (while covered) for another 15-20 minutes, until all water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Serve with fruits and kachumbari
I believe with the above you now know how to prepare pilau using the above spicy pilau ingredients with our simple Swahili pilau rice recipe. If you discover some new tips while cooking pilau that you think we should add to our beef pilau recipe, just let us know.