Many people often ask the question about how to make bhajia at home or what is the Bhajia recipe? In this article we will look at how to make Bhajia at home using a simple Bhajia recipe.
Before we look at how to make Bhajia at home using our simple Bhajia recipe, first let’s look at what is bhajia.
What is Bhajia?
Bhajia is one of the most delicious snacks in Kenya and East Africa. People love bhajia all over the world because they are finger licking good.
In Kenya you will always find this delicious meal prepared on the streets and served hot for a little price.
They can be eaten as a snack or as main dish. In Kenya most bhajia are made of potato, however they can be made out of vegetables such as onions, spinach, cauliflower, gram flour, kunde etc.
How to Make Bhajia at Home
If you love bhajia, I will show you how to make bhajia at home using our simple Bhajia recipe. Therefore, you won’t have to leave your house to go buy them out there.
How to Cook Bhajia at Home
- To ensure that the bhajia will cook through, slice the potatoes thin.
- Make your batter not thick or not thin so that it coats the potato slices without sliding off.
- Heat your cooking oil moderately, ensure your cooking oil is not too cold or too hot this will make the batter coating crisp up without burning as you cook bhajia.
- Remember to season your batter well because you wouldn’t like unseasoned potatoes.
Bhajia Recipe Ingredients
- 3 Large potatoes
- 1 ½ cups gram flour (200 grams)
- 1 tea spoon red chili powder
- 1 tea spoon turmeric powder
- 1” ginger root
- Handful of dhania (coriander leaves)
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt to taste
- 3 green chilies
- Enough water to make a pancake like batter
- Enough oil for deep frying
- Slice your potatoes into thin slices using either a knife or a mandolin.
- Crush the ginger, garlic and green chilies into a paste and add to the gram flour along with the rest of the ingredients apart from the oil for deep frying. Mix everything together to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed in the flour.
- Add water in small amounts while continuously stirring until all the gram flour is well incorporated. Once the batter is at a consistency of your liking stop adding any water.
- Heat oil on medium heat until it comes to temperature.
- Take the potato slices and dip them into the batter one by one making sure they are well coated before adding them to the hot oil.
- Cook the bhajias for 1.5 minutes on each side or until the gram flour batter is golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Serve while still hot and enjoy your bhajia kenya style.
The above serves 2 people
Time: Prep: 20 Minutes, Cooking 10 Minutes, Total: 30 Minutes
How to make bhajia batter, bhajia za kunde, bhajia without potatoes, bhajia mix kenyan style, bhajia in hindi, using gram flour, kadhi, crispy.