How to cook mukimo is one question that many often ask. Some would ask how do you cook mukimo with peas? What are mukimo ingredients? What is the method of cooking mukimo? What is the best stew for mukimo? green mukimo, brown mukimo etc.
Mukimo is a Kenyan staple food associated with the Kikuyu community in Kenya. Mukimo is a mixture of maize, potatoes, peas and salt. However sometimes there are no peas in the market due to its seasonality and sometimes peas can be expensive therefore peas can be replaced with kahurura (pumpkin leaves) as you can see in many homes in Kenyan.
If you see the green mukimo, its colour comes from the Pumpkin leaves which is easily available in rural farms.
How to Cook Mukimo
Usually after boling and mashing the mixture of the maize, potatoes, peas and pumpkin leaves, the green mukimo can be served as a meal. Some would tweak the cooking of kikuyu mukimo by frying it with some cooking fat, tomatoes and onions. Below find the two methods of cooking mukimo with peas
- 1.5 kg potatoes (peeled, washed, chopped)
- 500g peas
- 1 cup shelled maize ( about 250g)
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
- 3 tsbp butter/margarine optional*
Method of Cooking Mukimo
- In 3 sauce pots, boil peas, maize and potatoes each individually
- Once maize is soft drain water and set aside. (about 30-40min) depends on how soft the maize your using is.
- Once the peas are boiled and tender about 20 minutes, drain and mash them. Alternatively, if you have a blender, retain some little water and blend the peas to achieve a thick puree., and set aside.
- Once potatoes are soft and cooked through, ( about 20min of boiling) drain and mash them.
- In a big sauce pot, combine all 3 starches, salt to taste, butter and mash until well combined. (the maize usually still remains whole and intact, which is what you want)
- You can enjoy the mukimo as is or opt to fry it.
Mukimo Ingredients for Frying Green Mukimo
- 3 heaped table spoons butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper to taste (optional)
Method of Cooking Mukimo (frying green mukimo)
- In large sufuria (sauce pot) melt some butter with the 1 tbsp oil
- Add the onion and fry until it starts to brown
- Then add the mukimo and mix well until it is well coated with the butter
- Season with some black pepper which is optional
- Serve and enjoy
Best Stew for Mukimo
The best stew for mukimo is usually beef stew, this can be substuted with chicken stew too.
How to Cook Mukimo
We believe that now you know how to cook mukimo, green mukimo, and the answer to how do you cook mukimo with peas is answered including what are mukimo ingredients, what is the method of cooking mukimo and what is the best stew for mukimo. You can try our method and share with us your feedback.
You can also read: How to Cook Chapati – Soft Kenyan Chapati Recipe