FORD Kenya political party is headed by Moses Wetangula, the senator for Bungoma County. Ford Kenya in full is Forum for the Restoration of Democracy–Kenya. It formed the National Rainbow Coalition that governed Kenya from 2003 to 2007. The political party was also a member of the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) which was the opposition coalition after the 2013 elections.
Ford Kenya History
FORD was formed in August 1991 by six opposition leaders to fight for change in the country. By then President Daniel arap Moi outlawed it, and its leaders had been arrested and detained. After sustained pressure from the United Kingdom, the United States, and Scandinavian countries they were released.
December 1991 multi-party politics returned in Kenya after one-party state rule. It didn’t take long before FORD split into two factions; FORD-Asili led by Kenneth Matiba and FORD-Kenya led by Oginga Odinga.
This split gave KANU a chance to win the 1992 General Elections followed by FORD-Asili and FORD Kenya.
Michael Wamalwa Kijana took the leadership of FORD Kenya after Oginga Odinga died in January 1994. At that time the party had top opposition leaders in Kenya. This included lawyer James Orengo, economist Professor Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o, Raila Odinga (the son of Oginga Odinga), Oburu Odinga (Raila’s elder brother), environmentalist, and, later on, Nobel laureate, Wangari Maathai, and many others.
Unfortunately, Michael Wamalwa and Raila Odinga tussled over the leadership of FORD-Kenya for 2 years. Eventually Wamalwa beat Odinga in free and fair party elections in 1997, precipitating a devastating tribal split that the party has yet to recover from.
Later on, Raila, with a sizeable number of Luo MP’s, left FORD-Kenya to join the National Development Party of Kenya (NDP). In the 1997 general elections, FORD-Kenya finished fourth, behind Raila’s NDP.
When Michael Wamalwa Kijana died in London on 23 August 2003 after a long illness, FORD-Kenya elected Musikari Kombo to succeed him after beating Dr. Mukhisa Kituyi, in the contest.
with the party suffering through numerous court cases trying to get a new leader, Kombo’s tenure ended. Through a national delegates congress election Moses Wetangula became the leader of Ford Kenya.
FORD Kenya Party Logo
Ford Kenya Membership Registration
- Any person over the age of 18 years shall be eligible to become an ordinary member of the Party upon acceptance of the Party’s ideology, vision, mission, guiding principles and values on undertaking to support its objectives, policies, programs and adherence to its Code of Conduct & Discipline.
- A person shall become an ordinary member upon payment to the Party of such an amount and annual subscription fee or other fees as determined by the National Executive Council with approval of the National Delegates Congress.
- An ordinary member shall have the right to vote and be voted for and take part in all activities of the Party and shall be eligible to vie and hold any office in the Party, access documents and information relating to the Party’s programs and activities.
Senior Party Membership
- Any person who has been an ordinary member of the Party for a continuous period of 15years shall be eligible to become a senior member of the Party on application to the Party National Executive Council and upon payment of such fees as shall be prescribed by the Party.
- A senior member shall pay to the Party at the headquarters an annual subscription fee or such amount as shall be prescribed by the National Executive Council with the approval of the National Delegates Congress.
- A senior member shall be eligible to hold any office in the Party and can apply to the National Executive Council for permission to observe at own cost the meetings of the General Council and the National Delegates Congress.
Ford Kenya Party Registration
SMS your first name to 21072 to register as Ford-Kenya member or send the word FORDK to 21073 to receive all the party updates.
Ford Kenya Contacts
Ford Kenya Party office Nairobi, Kenya has been moved and it now has new headquarters.
The New Ford Kenya Office Nairobi, Kenya
Physical Address: Ole Ndume Road, Off Ngong Road
Address: P.O BOX 43591 – 00100 Nairobi.
Mobile: (+254) 0722 882775, 0721730875, 0205286925
Email Address: email@example.com
Ford Kenya Website
FORD Kenya Party Offices
Click here to get latest news and download documents from Ford Kenya party offices.