In this article, you will learn how to cook dengu stew using our simple dengu recipe. Dengu or pojo provides a very nutritious meal. Once you cook your dengu you can serve it with rice, chapati, matoke, potatoes, bhajia etc. There are people who also eat dengu with Sukuma Wiki and ugali! Yes, I have tried it and I can assure you it tastes good. Dengu can also be used for making samosas. The dengu samosa are very popular in the streets in Kenya as well as some restaurants. Nothing ever tasted better than the Kenyan dengu stew and chapatti. There are different ways of cooking dengu stew. We will show you how to Cook Dengu Stew that you will like so as your guests.
Dengu in English is green grams. Green grams are quite easy to make and anyone can cook them using our simple dengu recipe. It takes about 15 minues to prepare and about 40 minutes to cook dengu. Dengu are affordable and you can buy them from the market or supermarket. The polished ones are normally the best if you buy dengu from the supermarket. The dengu from the local market would be cheaper, but you have to spend some time removing tiny stones and dirt that they carry.
The big question is how to cook dengu? Actually for our dengu recipe, you will need green grams/dengu, onions, tomatoes and seasoning. Here is a simple dengu recipe that will help you make your delicious meal. After Boiling the green grams/dengu until they are tender, follow the steps below.
- 1 cup of cooked dengus /green grams
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Tomatoes Diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic diced
- 1 Medium Green Pepper (hoho) diced
- 1 carrot diced
- ¼ tsp of pepper
- 2 Royco or Maggi cubes
- Oil for Frying
- Salt to Taste
How to Cook Dengu Stew
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic,
- Fry them for about a minute
- Add the tomatoes, carrots, green pepper, salt, pepper, seasoning
- Now cook them until they are soft
- Then add the cooked green gram/dengu and stir gently
- Add water up to the same level with the green grams.
- Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes
- It’s ready! Now you can serve with your favorite meal.
These are the simple steps to follow on how to cook dengu. We believe that our dengu recipe will give you a wonderful cooking experience. Feel free to come back and share with us.